RV News Weekly Round-Up (August 25, 2023)
A New Leveling System From Lippert, Improved Internet Connection Courtesy of King, and an Electric Hummer Camper from GMC and EarthCruiser
Each week there is far more news from the RV and travel industry than we have time to cover. To make up for that, every Friday, we offer a roundup of the most interesting and important stories that you may have missed over the past seven days. Here’s what you need to know:
- Lippert Announces New Hydraulic Leveling System: One of the first big news stories revealed earlier this week was the availability of a new hydraulic leveling system from Lippert. Dubbed BaseCamp, the new system offers four-point leveling for Class B and C models and a six-point version for travel trailers and fifth-wheels. BaseCamp replaces Lippert’s existing Level Up system, bringing improved foot pads, a redesigned leveling cylinder, and easier installation. For more information, click here.
- GMC and EarthCruiser Reveal New Electric Camper: Back in May, we shared the news that GMC and EarthCruiser were working together to build an electric RV based on the Hummer EV. This week, the two companies unveiled that project, which looks to be quite a vehicle. The GMC Hummer EV EarthCruiser upfit is an off-road, overlanding beast designed to tackle any terrain. It includes an integrated custom-built carbon fiber camper complete with indoor and outdoor showers, a full-size bed, 650-watt solar panels, and a well-appointed kitchen. Our friends at GearJunkie have a full rundown of the vehicle, which you can check out here.
- The New King Passport Provides Improved Connectivity for Your RV: Maintaining an internet connection in our RVs isn’t always easy, especially when camping at a remote location. But earlier this week, King announced a new device that could help improve connectivity in nearly any RV. The new King Passport acts as a wireless internet repeater when connected to an open WiFi network or it can connect directly to a cell network as an alternative option. The device is optimized to use the fastest internet connection available with improved onboard tech for a more stable signal. Find out more on the King website.
- National Park Visitors Set New Revenue Record: 2022 was a good year for communities adjacent to America’s national parks. This week, the National Park Service announced that visitors to those regions spent a collective $50.3 billion and supported more than 370,400 jobs. The NPS also indicated that 312 million people visited the parks last year, spending $23.9 billion in communities within 60 miles of those locations. Find out more here.
- Outdoor Industry Approaches $1 Trillion Thanks to RV Camping: According to an article from The Independent, the outdoor industry has nearly a $1 trillion impact on the US economy. This is due in large part to an increasing number of people spending time outdoors, with RV travel and camping playing a major role. The report cites more Gen Zers and Millennials joining the “vanlife” crowd and outdoor destinations with modern amenities—like WiFi, electricity, and hot water—for the continual growth in the outdoor space. Read the full article here.
- Oliver Travel Trailers Building a Dealer Network: As the popularity of lightweight towables continues to grow, one established manufacturer is looking to take its brand to the next level. Tennessee-based Oliver Travel Trailers has announced that it is establishing a dealer network to expand the sale of its high-quality fiberglass campers. The network will be built in the coming months with an emphasis on finding dealers that focus on customer service. Find out more about these plans here.
- Hipcamp Celebrates a Decade of Camping: Online campsite booking website Hipcamp reached a major milestone this week. The company celebrated with an inspirational note from its founder, Alyssa Ravasio posted to its official blog. Over the course of its first decade in operation, the website has helped its users spend more than 10 million nights at campsites across the country on both public and private lands. Congrats to the entire Hipcamp team!
- Thor Reups Partnership with the Girl Scouts: For several years now, Thor Industries has sponsored Girl Scouts Love State Parks, the largest annual event for the Girl Scouts of the USA. That event takes place in over 500 state and local parks across the country, including Puerto Rico. Ahead of the 2023 edition of GSLSP, Thor has announced that it has renewed its partnership with the Girl Scouts, extending their partnership through 2025. Find out more about this unique connection here.
That’s all for this week. Join us next Friday for another round-up of important RV news stories.