RV News: Elkhart Open House Highlights, New Products from Lippert, a Class C fromStoryteller Overland, and More
It has been another busy week for RV industry news, particularly in the wake of the big RV Dealer Show in Elkhart, Indiana. Here are the highlights from that gathering, along with a few other items to have on your radar.
- New RVs Announced in Elkhart: Earlier in the week, we highlighted announcements for new RVs from Winnebago and Thor that were on display at the RV dealer event. But those weren’t the only vehicles to be unveiled in Elkhart. For instance, Grand Design added the 100 Series to its Reflection line of fifth-wheels, while Ember RV took the wraps off its new E-Series travel trailers. Not to be outdone, Heartland debuted the Corterra fifth-wheel, and Newmar showed off several new models including, the Supreme Aire and Super Star Super C.
- Storyteller Overland Introduces Off-Road Class C Model: One of the more interesting new models revealed this week comes our way courtesy of Storyteller Overland. The company has chiefly been known for designing amazing Class B camper vans, but this week it introduced a rugged Class C model built on a Dodge Ram 5500 chassis. Dubbed the HILT, the vehicle is built for off-road adventures and to survive the apocalypse. It features a 16.8-kilowatt-hour battery pack, 1325W of solar power, and closed-cell acoustic and thermal insulation for quiet camping all year round.
- Lippert Shows Off New Products: The Elkhart Open House isn’t just for RV manufacturers, as components designer Lippert was on hand to show off its new line of products, too. Industry insiders at the event had the chance to check out the new Titan leveling system, a new anti-lock braking system, a power ramp door, and more. For a full rundown of what was on display, click here.
- Airstream Adds Apple CarPlay Support: AirStream has announced an updated version of its Smart Control app that brings support for Apple CarPlay. That means the app will now appear on vehicles with infotainment systems that support CarPlay, giving RV owners the chance to monitor their rigs from the dashboard. Options include “Tow Mode” to monitor tire pressure on trailers and motorhomes, and “Camp Mode” for managing internal temperatures, power systems, and other variables. Read more about this exciting update here.
- Truma and Off Grid Trailers Collaborate on New Towables: This week RV components manufacturer Truma announced that Off Grid Trailers is integrating some of its products in two of its newest models. Upgraded versions of the Expedition 3.0 and Pando 3.0 travel trailers will include the Truma AquaGo comfort plus as the standard water heater and the Truma VarioHeat comfort as an optional furnace. Visit the OGT website to find out more.
- You Can Now Rent a Grounded Electric RV From RVShare: Electric RV manufacturer Grounded and RV rental outlet RVShare have announced a partnership. The two organizations have joined forces to bring e-RVs to travelers in the Detroit area. Currently, three Grounded G1 models are available on the RVShare platform, giving customers a chance to try camping in a zero-emissions vehicle. Find out more here.
- The Citroën Type Holiday is One Wild Looking RV Concept: French automaker Citroën is best known for making compact, fuel-efficient cars for the European market. But this week, the company revealed an interesting new concept vehicle in the camper van space. The Citroën Type Holidays features a retro design that includes a pop-up sleeping area on the roof and a couch that converts to a bed in the interior. It also comes with a small kitchen equipped with an induction stove, sink, and a mini-fridge. A dinette serves as a gathering place for meals and just hanging out. Watch the official video for this unique RV here.
- Cradlepoint and MobileWare Bring Reliable Internet to Cedar Creek RVs: Finding and maintaining a fast, reliable internet connection can be a major challenge when traveling in an RV. To help customers overcome those challenges, wireless internet provider Cradlepoint is joining forces with Mobileware to deliver a blazingly quick solution to Cedar Creek RVs by Forest River. The service uses cellular SIM cards and mobile cellular routers to offer 4G/LTE and 5G service throughout the vehicles. Find out more about this partnership in this press release.
- Expion360 Announces New Battery Tech: Lithium-battery manufacturer Expion360 has announced a breakthrough in power cell technology that drastically improves storage capacity. According to the company, its latest batteries use a proprietary anode/cathode design that increases energy density by 32 percent. That translates to a third more electricity stored in the same size power cells. Find out more here.
That’s all for this week. Join us next Friday for another round-up of the most important RV news stories.