Recreation.gov invites you to “Share Your Story” and Win Prizes
The Website is Giving Away Outdoor Gear and National Park Passes
Listen up all aspiring adventure travel writers! For the second year in a row, Recreation.gov is seeking submissions to its “Share Your Story” writing contest. The website—a one-stop-shop for reserving campsites and obtaining permits and passes for America’s public lands—is seeking the best stories about your time spent in the outdoors. Winning entries will receive an array of prizes that include outdoor gear and annual passes for America’s National Parks.
To enter, visit the Share Your Story submission page and fill out a form that includes your name and email address. Next, select up to three federal public lands where your story takes place and up to two contest categories that it falls into. Those categories include “Family Trips,” “Activities & Adventure,” “Traditions (Old and New),” and “RV/Campervans.” Writers also can share the activities they took part in during their adventure, such as climbing, hiking, and camping.
Aspiring authors will have 900-3500 characters to tell their tale, with the contest rewarding both creativity and brevity. Writers can submit two entries, and each story requires at least one photo. The only other rule is that the outdoor experiences shared as part of the contest must have taken place between January 1, 2020, and April 30, 2022. The deadline for submission is April 30.
The inaugural edition of the writing contest was a resounding success for Recreation.gov. In the first year of its existence, more than 1,200 stories were submitted for review. The site expects that number to increase in 2022.
“We were blown away by the entries, many of which covered memorable moments with loved ones and a newfound sense of gratitude and appreciation for public lands and waters,” says Recration.gov Program Manager Rick DeLappe in a press release announcing this year’s contest. “We look forward to receiving more stories in 2022 of how the great outdoors has brought people peace, enjoyment, and a sense of togetherness, with nature, family, or new friends you meet along the trail.”
Following the April 30 submission deadline, a panel of judges will review the stories and announce 29 winners. In addition to first, second, and third place overall winners, there will also be four overall winners and runner-ups in each category. Additionally, there will be four monthly winners, along with runner-ups and ten honorable mentions.
The winners will receive the following prices:
- Three Grand Prize Winners: The first Grand Prize Winner will receive a $1,500 gift card from REI, the Second Grand Prize Winner will receive a $1,000 gift card from REI, and the third Grand Prize Winner will receive a $500 gift card from REI. Additionally, each winner will receive an America the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands (ATB) Pass, providing access to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites across the country.
- Four Overall Category First Place Winners: Each winner will receive a $300 gift card from REI and an ATB pass.
- Four Overall Category Runner Up Winners: Each winner will receive a $150 gift card from REI and an ATB pass.
- Four Monthly First Place Winners: Each winner will receive a $150 gift card from REI and an ATB pass.
- Four Monthly Runner Up Winners: Each winner will receive a $100 gift card from REI an ATB pass.
- Ten Honorable Mention Winners: Each winner will receive branded gear from Recreation.gov.
For more information on the Share, Your Story contest, visit Recreation.gov.