RV News: A G-Wagon RV Conversion, Popular Outdoor Apps, and a Guide to Finding the Perfect RV
Happy Friday, and welcome to a holiday edition of our weekly roundup of RV industry news. If you’ve been busy celebrating the season with friends and family, here are a few stories you might have missed:
- Camper Van Conversion Company Turns Mercedes G-Wagon into an RV: The Mercedes G-Wagon is a boxy—and pricey—4×4 that few owners ever take off-road. But a German camper van conversion company named Terracamper recently worked its magic on one of the iconic vehicles turning it into a full-fledged RV. New Atlas has all the details, including some impressive photos.
- GearJunkie’s Guide to Selecting an RV: With so many options to choose from these days, finding the right RV can be a challenge. But our friends over at GearJunkie have put together a comprehensive guide to help step you through the process, offering insights into rooftop tents, truck campers, travel trailers, camper vans, and more. If you’re in the market for a new rig and are looking for a little help, check out the article here.
- Winnebago Releases 2023 Corporate Responsibility Report: For the fifth year in a row, Winnebago is providing insights into its efforts to make its business more environmentally friendly and sustainable. This week, the company released its 2023 Corporate Responsibility Report—including the first-ever CDP Climate Change Questionnaire—which focuses on diversity and inclusion, safety, ethics, environmental stewardship, and more.
- Camping Gear Tops Holiday Wishlists: Newsflash—campers love new gear. According to the Kampgrounds of America monthly research report for December, 76% of survey respondents say they asked for new outdoor gear for Christmas this year. Tops products included tents, sleeping bags, and camp kitchen products. Did Satna bring any of those items to you?
- New Website Offers Online Directory of RV Storage Facilities: Looking for a place to store your RV for the winter? Perhaps a new website called RVSpace4Rent.com can help. The site serves as an online directory of storage facilities around the country, listing more than 3,000 locations across the US. And if you happen to own an RV storage space, you can add it to the service, potentially attracting more customers.
- AllTrails is Apple’s App of the Year: AllTrails, a smartphone app that helps users find hiking trails, has been named “App of the Year” by Apple. The tech giant lauded the software for its innovative interface, user-friendly design, and large database of trails. It also received kudos for helping more people get outside and lead a healthier lifestyle. Read the press release here.
- The Dyrt is the Most Downloaded Camping App: While we’re on the subject of smartphone apps, The Dyrt announced this week that it was the most downloaded camping app for 2023. According to a press release, the software was downloaded nearly a million times over the past 12 months.
That’s all for this week. Join us next Friday for the first RV news roundup of 2024.