1. Home
  2. RVs: Motorhomes
  3. Motorhome News
  4. IRS Collects Taxes on Users of Campground Host Sites

IRS Collects Taxes on Users of Campground Host Sites

Originally Published in MotorHome Magazine

Motorhomers who serve as campground hosts or trade services for sites at commercial RV
parks must pay federal and possibly state income tax on the fair market value of those
sites. For example, anyone who occupies a site that would normally rent for $18 per night
and stays there for a total of 30 nights should report $540 on Internal Revenue Service
Schedule C. Users of these sites also are obligated to pay self-employment tax on that
portion of their income. The IRS refers to income that results from this kind of
arrangement as barter. Information concerning this tax can be found in IRS Publication 17.
Failure to report such income could result in interest and late-payment fees.

Subscribe to Wildsam Magazine today, Camping World and Good Sam’s magazine of the open road.

Just $19.97 for a year’s subscription.


Please login or register to view archived articles.

Sign In

Do not have an account? Create New Account