1. Home
  2. RVs: Motorhomes
  3. Motorhome News
  4. Big-Rig License Update

Big-Rig License Update

Originally Published in MotorHome Magazine

It’s said that no good deed will go unpunished – and that old adage
certainly came home to roost with the February 2004 issue of MotorHome
magazine. In an effort to keep readers appraised of possible changes to
state driver’s license requirements for owners of large motorhomes, a
writer investigated the size/weight requirements for commercial driver’s
licenses in four states (California, Florida, Illinois and Texas).
Unfortunately, further research would have revealed that all four states
also provided exemptions for recreational vehicles operated for
personal use.

In fact, according to Jay Landers, senior director of
government affairs for the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association, “No
state requires an RVer to get a commercial driver’s license.” Landers
added that a handful of states do require something more for drivers of
motorhomes of more than 40 feet, usually based on weight. Check with
your Department of Motor Vehicles for current restrictions, if any.

Subscribe to Wildsam Magazine today, Camping World and Good Sam’s magazine of the open road.

Just $19.97 for a year’s subscription.


Please login or register to view archived articles.

Sign In

Do not have an account? Create New Account