Chef Robert Irvine’s Grilled Chipotle Chicken Street Tacos
Change Up Your Camping Experience With These Tacos
For these street tacos, you marinate the chicken thighs overnight, during which time they’ll absorb all kinds of wonderful flavors from the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, as well as the Coke and brown sugar.
The next day, just pop ‘em on a grill, dice a couple of avocados, and then build your tacos. In just a few minutes, you and your family will be enjoying the best tacos you’ve ever had—and you get to look like a pro while doing it. It’s nice doing all the prep work before game time, isn’t it?
What You’ll Need
- Cutting board
- 4 oranges
- 2 limes
- 1 cup Coca-Cola
- 4 tbsp canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 avocados, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- In a blender, squeeze the juice from the oranges and limes and add the cola, canned chipotle peppers, brown sugar, garlic clove, and fresh cilantro, stems and all.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth and marinate the chicken thighs overnight with the blended mixture.
At the Campsite
- Set the grill to medium-high heat and grill the marinated chicken on both sides for 10–14 minutes or until cooked through completely.
- Rest the chicken on a cutting board for 5 minutes before slicing. This will stop the juices from running out.
- Place the flour tortillas on the grill for 5 seconds on both sides to warm them up.
- To build the street tacos, place the shredded lettuce down on the warmed tortillas, then arrange the diced avocados, grilled chicken, sour cream, and queso fresco.
For more recipes and foodie content, check out our other cooking and grilling articles.