Sweetheart Surf & Turf Dinner for 2
Impress Your Valentine in the Kitchen This Year
To me, there are few things that scream romantic date more than a night out at a cozy, darkly lit steak house. You can bring the steak house to your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day with this simple surf-and-turf-for-two recipe. The key to elevating it from your usual grilling is the melted garlic-and-herb butter, which will deliver that authentic steak house flavor.
Pair with a bottle of your favorite wine; red or white, there’s no wrong call here. Drink what you like! Anyone who would tell you that you did it wrong is way too stiff to be eating dinner with. Finish it off with my chocolate fondue and fruit parfaits and you’ve got a meal that could outclass any fancy restaurant. Why? Because you’re going to make it with love—and that always takes it further. Enjoy!
- Serves: 2
- Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15minutes
What You’ll Need
- A grill
- 4 bamboo skewers
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 large porterhouse steak (16 to 22 ounce)
- ½ lb large raw shrimp, cleaned
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- Set the grill to medium-high heat. Pre-soak wood skewers in water so they don’t burn.
- Skewer the shrimp and set aside.
- Place the butter, onion powder, smoked paprika, chopped parsley, and garlic together in a small pot and place on the grill to melt together.
- Season the porterhouse with salt and pepper. Grill the steak on both sides to the desired internal temperature (130 degrees F for medium-rare) and set aside on a cutting board. Brush generously with the melted garlic-herb butter and allow to rest.
- Season the skewered shrimp and the fresh asparagus with salt and pepper and drizzle the shrimp and asparagus with oil. Grill both for five minutes until shrimp is cooked through and asparagus is tender and slightly charred.
- Brush the grilled shrimp and asparagus with the remaining melted garlic-herb butter.
- Slice the rested grilled steak and serve with the grilled shrimp and asparagus.
Looking for more great recipes for your next trip? Check out our Cooking & Grilling section. It’s filled with fantastic recipes.